Monday, December 13, 2010

personal privilege lists by millertime

privilege

__________________________________________


  1. I don’t have to chemically straighten or alter my hair in any way for it to be considered “good hair.”
  2. I don’t ever have to alter my natural hair if I so choose in order to look “respectable” while dressing for an interview or “professional” occasion.
  3. I don’t have to fight against stereotypes of being always “loud” because of my race and sex.
  4. If I turn on the television or look to media websites as part of popular culture, I can trust that I will see people of my race widely represented.
  5. If I am poor, I do not have to worry that others will somehow think it correlated to or an extension of larger reflections about my race.
  6. If I lose my job (am unemployed) or my home (am homeless), I do not have to worry that anyone will think it a product of or typical of my race.
  7. I do not have to worry I’ll be accepted for a job position because of my race, not my merit (my gender, perhaps, but not my race).
  8. I don’t have to worry that in any setting I’ll be read as representative of the entire existence of people of my race.
  9. The brunt of educating others about my race do not fall to me, and are never presumed to be my responsibility.
  10. I can walk into stores and browse without being considered suspect in any way that was solely race or racial stereotyped based.
  11. I can eat any food without it somehow being derogatorily connected to my race or negative portrayals of my race.
  12. If I receive government assistance, I do not have to fear anyone uncovering this and saying that it is myself and those of my race who are abusing the system.
  13. I can purchase most any popular make-up products assured that they’ve been designed with someone of a complexion similar to my own in mind.
  14. I can watch television assured that most products are designed and advertised towards people of my race.
  15. I never have to fear being the object of unjust police attention based on my race (driving while brown).
  16. I can learn and celebrate the history of my own race (not of my gender, though) in any public education system or day of the year, not only one month of the year.


_____________________


  1. If I am a fat woman, I don’t want to have fun (fat people can’t fit into roller coaster seats).
  2. If I am a fat woman, I must pay for the space I exist in (fat people must pay for two tickets on some airlines).
  3. If I am a fat woman, I am not supposed to dress and walk and carry myself with confidence.
  4. No, if I am a fat woman, I am meant to drag my head.
  5. If I am a fat woman, I excuse my own space-taking, my very being.
  6. If I am a fat woman, I am a smelly slob.
  7. If I am a fat woman, I no longer deserve the respect given to other human beings.
  8. If I am a fat woman, I’m either a sexless blob or an overeager slut.
  9. If I am a fat woman, to eat in public is itself a heresy.
  10. If I am a fat woman, I’m probably a lesbian, only because it’s pretty obvious I don’t care what men think of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment